The Flame Of Truth: Chapter 3

 Here is Chapter 3:

The bright light woke me up. Celeste was not in the bed. I quickly made the bed and hurried to my room to get changed for my run. I found a pair of leggings, a t-shirt, my windbreaker and some tennis shoes. I grabbed my phone and earbuds from my desk and hurried downstairs. It was a usual Saturday morning. My parents were at work and Crystal and Ruby were eating some breakfast, but the unusual thing was Celeste was sitting at the kitchen table. 

“Where are you heading?” she inquired looking at me. 

“On my morning run,” I told her. 

“Valerie goes on runs every morning,” Ruby informed Celeste. “She did it all summer,” 

“Can I go with you?” Celeste suggested. 

“Uh yeah sure,” I told her. She ran upstairs to change. 

‘So where are we running to,” she asked when she had changed into some running shorts, a jacket and tennis shoes. 

“I usually run to the track and then do sprints and then run back home,” I told her as we walked outside. 

“You’ve been doing this all summer?,” Shock was displayed on her face.

“Yea. I need to stay conditioned. Conditioning is starting in two weeks,” I explained. 

“Really?” 

“Yeah. The first game is on Nov 23,” I informed her. 

“Okay. Just to let you know you don’t have to stay behind with me,” She told me.  I nodded and started running. I was surprised how much Celeste kept up with me. She had never been athletic. She had always been the artist. She loved to draw. I played the piano and guitar and we both sang. We finally made it to the track. 

“Were doing sprints after this?” She exclaimed, catching her breath. 

“Yep,” I laughed. I began my real workout of different sprints. After an hour I decided to call it quits. Celeste had been on her phone. And I was sure she had taken some videos or pics. 

“You're so much faster than last year,” She declared walking up to me. 

“Well I have more time working out. I think I could shave more time though. I need to get stronger though,” I expounded. She looked at me in disbelief, her mouth hanging open. 

“Get stronger?” She repeated. “You're so strong already. And you are practically all muscles,” 

“I might look pretty athletic, but in order to do well in my sports. I need more strength. Last year they had me play because of my skills,” I corrected her. I watched her eyebrows draw together and she frowned. “Coach gave me the keys to the weight room and I usually lift weights but if you got to head we can head back,” I suggested. She seemed deep in thought. 

“We can head to the weight room,” She concluded. We walked to the school and I opened the doors to the weight room surprised that it was open. 

“There might be other people in here,” I told her as we walked in. There were a few kids. I recognized a few of them from the basketball team. 

“Valerie?,” One of the girls asked. 

“Hey guys. Do you mind if my sister and I workout here?” I asked.

“It's fine,” One of the guys said I recognized him from the track team. Celeste and I started working out. After an hour of killing myself, I decided that I was done. Some more people had shown up. 

“You're on the basketball team, right?” I heard a girl ask. She looked young. 

“Yeah. I am,” I told her. 

“I’m Kalee,” She told me. “I’m a freshman,” She explained. “When does conditioning start?” She asked.

“In two weeks,” I informed her.

“Okay thanks,” She said, walking to join two other girls who I assumed were her friends. I found Celeste talking to two girls in our grade. 

“Hey Celeste, you ready to go?” I asked. 

“Umm yeah. Just a sec,” She told me. I waited at the door and she gave both the girls hugs goodbye. 

“Who are they?” I asked as we headed outside. 

“That’s Clara and Annabelle. They are super sweet,” 

“I haven’t ever talked to them,” 

“They would be great friends,” She insisted. I nodded but didn’t really care. We ran home. And I showered and changed into normal clothes. My window was open and I was surprised to see a blue lamborghini parked on the curb. I closed the blinds and headed downstairs. 

“I promised my sister I would spend the day with her,” I heard Celeste talking at the front door. “I thought I texted you about it Matthew,” My eyes widened. There was only one Matthew I had ever heard of. Matthew Stone. He was part of The Elite. The Elite consisted of five boys who were all insanely rich, good looking and they all were seniors at our high school. They were untouchable and from what I knew none of them dated. I headed toward the front door. He was standing there casually talking with Celeste. I had only seen him a few times but I recognized him. He was good looking with rusty hair, defined features and bright green eyes. His eyes jumped to me when he saw me.

“Are you Celeste’s sister?” He asked. Celeste turned to face me.

“Matthew, this is my twin sister Valerie. And Valerie, this is Matthew, one of my friends,” She explained. 

“You guys are twins?” He asked in disbelief. Looking between the two of us. 

“Yeah. We’re just not identical twins,” I said. He nodded. “Celeste you can go hangout with your friends,” I told her. “I’ll just...um...hangout with Ginger and practice the piano. Plus, I’m feeling pretty tired,” 

“Really?”She exclaimed. 

“Yeah,” I said plastering a fake smile on my face.

“Thank you so much,” She gushed. “We’ll do our sister's day another day, okay?” I nodded although I knew that was not likely going to happen. I watched as Celeste left. I shut the door behind me. Celeste was hanging out with The Elite. No one really knew anything about them. They had never let anyone else into their group. Why were they hanging out with her. A sharp pain hit me in my legs shooting though my body. I hadn’t gone that hard today on my workout. It only increased as I walked up stairs. I made it to my bed. My entire body hurt like I had broken all my bones. Tears were streaming down my face. What was happening? I couldn’t see. My vision was black and blurry. And then it suddenly stopped. My vision returned. I looked down.  I had fur. Orange, black and white fur. I was a tiger. What happened? What was I? I had paws, a tail and lots of fur. What if my siblings walked in? Fear filled my body. How was I going to turn back? I couldn’t stop the pit forming in my stomach. I tried closing my eyes and reopening them. I was still a tiger. What did people in the movies do? They imagined themselves in their human form. I tried it. Closing my eyes, I concentrated on thinking of being myself again. A burning sensation filled my body. I found myself normal. Had I been adopted? Was I an experiment? What was I?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Flame of Truth: Chapter 1

The Flame of Truth: Chapter 2