The Flame of Truth: Chapter 1

And here is Chapter 1:

Having four sisters might be considered fun to some people. But personally living with four sisters was insane. Although it was fun there was lots of drama. My sisters were now fighting over the bathroom. I had learned as a middle child that it was best not to get involved. I made my way to the kitchen where I found my mom cooking. 

“Good morning mum,” I said. 

“Valerie! I didn’t hear you,” she exclaimed turning around clutching her chest. 

“Sorry,” I said with a lopsided grin. My mom turned back to the pancakes she was flipping.

“It’s fine sweetie. You just scared me. All the others are so....loud,” She said with a laugh. 

The sound of someone running down the stairs reached my ears and smiled. 

“Good morning, mom,” My sister Opal said. Running into the kitchen. She quickly grabbed a purse that was on the counter. She had my mother's long golden hair and my father's tan complexion. When I was with my sisters, I stuck out like a sore thumb. I had dark brown hair, and bluish green eyes. My sisters all somehow had perfect a tan complexion while I had pale skin. I heard shouts from upstairs. They walked into the kitchen bickering. My younger sisters Ruby and Crystal. They caramel color hair, tan complexion and bright blue eyes. The only difference between the two was that Ruby’s hair had a reddish tint and Crystal wore glasses. 

“Good morning mom,” They said at the same time. They were wearing cute outfits and had put in some effort unlike me.

“Good morning girls. My freshmen girls. I can’t believe you are both so grown up,” She said giving them hugs.

“I remember when you two were tiny tots,” My dad said walking into the kitchen. He was still in his pajamas. I definitely got my looks from him although he was tan, too. We shared the same brown hair, and the height. I was the tallest out of the girls. Ruby and Crystal ran to him jumping on him to give him hugs. I walked over behind them.

“Your mother is right though. My little girls are almost all grown up,” He said, giving me a hug. 

“Celeste is still in the bathroom,” Ruby informed us. 

“And if she doesn’t hurry we are going to be late,” Crystal whined as she took her seat at the counter and ate. I did the same. Celeste was my twin sister. We were practically opposites though. She had golden blonde hair, tan skin and beautiful blue eyes. She was chill and not as outgoing as the twins. 

“Hey guys sorry. I had to curl my hair,” Celeste said walking into the kitchen. She was wearing a cute edgy outfit of…..She took a seat at the counter and quickly ate. 

“Girls you have to hurry,” My mom told us. “We have to take pictures before you guys leave,” She said, grabbing her phone. We were ushered outside to the front door where we took pictures together. I felt out of place with my adidas sweatshirt and black skinny jeans. But I shrugged the feeling off. This is what I wanted to wear. 

“Okay that’s enough,” Ruby said, finally getting tired. 

“Okay,” My mom agreed and we said goodbyes and headed off to school. Ruby and Crystal practically jumped out of the jeep when we arrived at school.

“We need to take our selfie,” Celeste reminded me. She grabbed me and dragged me to a tree. She pulled out her phone and we quickly took a selfie.

“Okay. So I am meeting up with some friends before class so let’s find our lockers and then we’ll part ways okay?” Celeste asked. 

“Yea, that sounds good,” I said following her. She quickly found our lockers and we both put our backpacks away and grabbed the stuff we needed. 

“Valerie,” My sister said, turning to me. “Have a good day,” She said, giving me a hug. “I’m going out with friends for lunch,” She told me, handing me the keys to the jeep.

“Okay. I’ll see you after school,” I told her going off to find my classes. 


Celeste was always more social than me and had more friends than me. Most people knew me from athletics. I played basketball and did track. I hung out with girls on the basketball team at lunch, which included my cousin Ainsley. Ainsley was a cousin from my mom’s side of the family. During elementary school it had always been Celeste, Ainsley and I. But during middle school, Celeste started making more friends. Ainsley and I stayed close though. The ringing of the bell pulled me from my thoughts. I gathered my stuff and headed out of the class into the crowded hallway. I made my way to the cafeteria. Before I made it to the usual table I was mauled by Ainsley.

“It's been so long,” she cried wiping fake tears. I laughed.

“I saw you two days ago for family dinner,” I reminded her. She pouted.

“Well it's still been too long,” she said. 

“Well I was thinking we could head back to my house for lunch because we had steak last night,” I told her. I watched as her face lit up.

“Of course,” she said excitedly. “You know me too well,”. We made our way outside to the car. On the way we ran into Crystal and Ruby with their friends. 

“I forgot there is also cake,” I told her getting into the jeep. 

“How could you forget that,” she exclaimed. 

“I don’t know. I just did,” I confessed. I pulled out of the parking lot. I was glad that we didn’t live near many restaurants or fast food places so not many students went right. Which made it easier to get out. We lived fifteen minutes from school. In the countryside. We lived in a colonial farmhouse. We had lived in it for only three years. I parked in the driveway and we headed inside.

We were immediately met by my dog, Ginger. She was a Brittany and was gorgeous with red and white hair, amber eyes and a cute pink nose. 

“She gets crazier every time I see her,” Ainsley complained as Ginger sniffed her. 

“No she just gets more excited to see you,” I told her. She laughed and we headed into the kitchen. Nobody was home since mom and dad worked. I searched through the fridge and found the steak and cake and warmed them up.

“You are so lucky you had steak last night. I had to suffer through my dad’s stir fry,” Ainsley complained. 

“I like your dad’s stir fry,” I reminded her.

“Vegetables are gross. Meat is where the real food is,” she said. “I just remembered! You want to workout tonight?” she asked. Ainsley and I got together once a week to workout together. And on the other days we workout by ourselves. 

“Yea that works for me,”I told her.

“Let’s do it at my house,” She told me, stuffing her face with steak. I laughed.

“Sure,”I agreed. The rest of the day consisted of school and homework. I worked out with Ainsley and had family dinner. After a long day I finally fell asleep. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Flame of Truth: Chapter 2

The Flame Of Truth: Chapter 3